Friday, May 23, 2014

5k: Toyota Inside: 1968 Volvo Amazon Wagon 4X4

 The Volvo Amazon (called the 120 series outside of Sweden) was the more practical, more upright but still cool older sibling of the P1800 sporty car, to which it donated its engine, transmission, and suspension options. The Amazon was available as a coupe, sedans or wagons -- they are solidly built, fun to drive, look great and should live forever...reminds us of a certain Toyota pickup of legend...what if...no...it couldn't happen...no one would combine two of the most bulletproof cars on the planet in one homage to madness?  Find this 1968 Volvo Amazon 4X4 offered for $7,900 via craigslist. 


Someone put a 1968 Volvo Amazon Wagon body on top of a 1984 Toyota 4X4 chassis and the seller only  puts a few sentences of ALL CAPS with limited details.  Who built this?  Why?  How? 



Under the hood is a Toyota 22R engine mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox.  The Toyota light truck engine won't be much of an upgrade over the Volvo B-series engine, but it should be better on fuel and even more bullet proof.


The cabin still looks like a Volvo Amazon, and you won't be able to tell it is mounted on a Toyota Truck chassis until you look out the windows or attempt a low speed turning maneuver.  


See a crazier off road ready classic Volvo? tips@dailyturismo.com

6 comments:

  1. Well..........I hate to admit it but I lke it. Sacriligeous but with just a dash of panache. High speed turns would be a problem too!. Funny how people think they can sell such a custom job wth so little explanation. Kind of like fishing with an empty hook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or when they say "PICTURES SAY IT ALL." No, the pictures are incriminating evidence for the case against your sanity. You better work on your testimony, pal.

      Delete
  2. You will like it a bit less when you drive it and find the very urgent need for a kidney belt. Those jacked up Toyota trucks rode like they had square tires. The 22 R motor makes the original Volvo powerplant seem powerful. It might also have a questionable DMV problem as in this state the frame dictates the year make and model. With such a high center of gravity this vehicle could only be used for deep water fording ! Aint much of that in So. Cal.It has been for sale for a very long time. I cant imagine why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure I submitted this last year sometime but I can't find the sent mail to see if it's the same vehicle, or if it was bought and being sold by a new owner. Regardless, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually do not like the car / 4x4 chassis matings ---too often they look hacked - especially with the tires not lining up in the wheelwells / fenders. This one actually looks pretty good. I would drive it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this cool unique and functional awesome truck. I would be interested in at that a cash offer is what I'm making now for it email me some workable details and I will be most appreciative. Please and thank you. I hope to get a reply soon.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting Commandments:
I. Thou Shalt Not write anything your mother would not appreciate reading.
II. Thou Shalt Not post as anonymous unless you are posting from mobile and have technical issues. Use name/url when posting and pick something Urazmus B Jokin, Ben Dover. Sir Edmund Hillary Clint Eastwood...it don't matter. Just pick a nom de plume and stick with it.
III. Honor thy own links by using <a href ="http://www.linkgoeshere"> description of your link </a>
IV. Remember the formatting tricks <i>italics</i> and <b> bold </b>
V. Thou Shalt Not commit spam.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.