Friday, May 23, 2014

Coffee Brake: What Auto Only Car Needs A Clutch


When this website was first formed, we had a few simple rules for cars to be listed, first was they must be cheap, second rear-drive and third manual-transmission.  Those rules have been violated as many times as Robert Downey Jr failed his court ordered drug screenings, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't strive to be clean or that we shouldn't look for cheap rear drive manual trans equipped cars.  The only problem is that some cars never came with a clutch pedal from the factory, so...what factory auto car needs a manual transmission?


The C36 AMG was built from 1995 thru 1997 and featured a phenomenal 3.6 liter inline-6 mated to a 5-speed slushbox and the rear wheels.  The C36 was a great car (I should know, I owned one for a few years) but is seriously let down by the only available gearbox.  It isn't a bad automatic transmission (shifts are crisp and quick) but the fact remains that it quenches the fun from what would otherwise be a serious M3 competitor.  Only 5200 C36s were built, so finding a good one isn't as easy as you might think, but this 1997 Mercedes-Benz C36 AMG offered from a dealer in Costa Mesa, CA on ebay for $8,888 or best offer isn't a bad place to start.  It just needs a manual gearbox...

If you had to pick a car that needs a tranny swap, what would you pick? Comments below.

21 comments:

  1. The Jaguars have certainly been well represented in this category with ,today's XJS , a '69 XJ6 , '73 XJ6 which looked like an '86 , '76 XJ12C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mercedes W126 coupe 380/500/560 SEC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three come to mind
    Buick Grand National (the owners say that they have to be auto for the turbo to be effective)
    Plymouth Prowler - not that I like them very much
    Jaguar xk8, xkr. These are actually pretty fun to drive if you can get past the real estate agent that you feel like.
    I would love to do a ls1 6speed or 5.0 5.0 coyote swap if I had the skills or money

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I second this. My first thought. Don't know why.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Lets be honest, ANY modern Ferrari.
      ~Fueltruck

      Delete
  6. Grand National has been mentioned, so I will go with
    1)GMC Typhoon & Syclone
    2)1989 Turbo Pontiac Trans Am
    2)1980 Turbo Pontiac Trans Am
    3)1989 Turbo Pontiac Grand Prix
    4)1978 Dodge Little Red Express
    5)1991 Chevy 454 SS Pickup
    6)1987 Chevy Monte Carlo SS
    7)Any Ford Lightning
    8)1996 Buick Roadmaster
    9)Nissan GT-R
    10)2002 Cadillac ElDorado
    11)Any supercharged Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that C36. We're they built on a "good" MB platform or had the quality already gone away?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hate to spoil the party:

    $15,888.00
    or Best Offer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mid '90's Impala SS
    Current Chevy SS

    ReplyDelete
  10. 81 through 85 Mercedes 300TD (123 chassis). In europe not in the USA. Why?

    ReplyDelete
  11. 300SEL 6.3 and every AMG car that has followed in its footsteps.

    I saw XJS mentioned, but there were some (very few) factory manuals sold in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Audi A8/S8 and RS6. It can be done, but it's probably pretty pricey to piece together. For the C5 chassis RS6 you could just pick up an A6 manual parts car. The D chassis cars may have been available with manual in Europe early on? I have seen several for sale with manuals. I know 034 has some of the needed parts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. E34 series and later BMW iT wagons. Yes, I know that a stick was available from the factory thru the E39, but when was the last time you actually SAW one?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Automotive energy recovery systems are seeing the traction in the market, due to the operational advantages it provides to the vehicle and customer. carfax reports

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work... doosan parts

    ReplyDelete

Commenting Commandments:
I. Thou Shalt Not write anything your mother would not appreciate reading.
II. Thou Shalt Not post as anonymous unless you are posting from mobile and have technical issues. Use name/url when posting and pick something Urazmus B Jokin, Ben Dover. Sir Edmund Hillary Clint Eastwood...it don't matter. Just pick a nom de plume and stick with it.
III. Honor thy own links by using <a href ="http://www.linkgoeshere"> description of your link </a>
IV. Remember the formatting tricks <i>italics</i> and <b> bold </b>
V. Thou Shalt Not commit spam.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.