The biggest concern with any modified chassis car (removing a door is not a simple task) is the fact that the end result can resemble something from Mary Shelley's famous novel. This one looks really nice in the few photos and it is apparent that they cut the car and used the front half of the front door and the rear half of the rear door (notice wing window at rear of door) so, they lost quite a lot of wheelbase.
The engine under the hood is a 4.8 liter version of Jaguar's XK inline-6 that would have put out 173 horsepower from its 4.2 liter displacement. The seller does not indicate what parts he used to achieve the increased displacement or what the new power level should be, but 4.8 stroker kits are available and it should pick up a few ponies.
The interior looks good in the few shots included, but it is important to carefully check out the craftsmanship around the spot where the two doors attach together...not to mention the two halves of the chassis.
See a cooler extra-short wheelbase Jag? email us here: tips@dailyturismo.com






The cut job looks pretty good, even though it gives the roof a bubble-top appearance. While they had the sawzall out, they might have considered shortening the boot a couple of inches for less overhang.
ReplyDeleteMazda Cosmo profile.
ReplyDeletePhotoshopped! Maybe.
ReplyDeleteI love it and wish I had seen it when the auction started. And while I'm wishing, I wish I had been going to Cape Town on business at just that time. I would have definitely checked this out. I LOVE THIS THING....
ReplyDeleteI believe this is something Jag should have built.
Being in the middle of a project to shorten a Citroen 2CV:
ReplyDeletehttp://ottawacitroenclub.ca/terrys-blog/a-legend-is-borne
makes me appreciate how much work this Jag must have been. I have to give credit for the apparent quality of the fabrication and finishing. Very nice result, regardless of what someone might think about the concept. To me, it's "whatever floats your boat".
Bobinott
Just a point on your copy; Jag did produce a XJ coupe. Granted it was larger than this thing
ReplyDeletehttp://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&biw=1440&bih=791&tbm=isch&tbnid=_I96OPGwMrlEvM%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classicandperformancecar.com%2Ffront_website%2Foctane_interact%2Fcarspecs.php%2F%3Fpage%3D26%26make%3D%26model%3D%26searchwords%3D&docid=p1rRKDO9Jm9ioM&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classicandperformancecar.com%2Ffront_website%2Foctane_interact%2Fmodelpicture.php%253Fid%253D2004&w=1024&h=565&ei=evLOUrqlEY-qqAGtnYDQDQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=1093&page=1&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=0CFsQrQMwAw
or was this not exported?
According to wikipedia Jag did make an XJ-Coupe, but production was a handful in 73, 74 (2, 13 total) and didn't ramp up till 75-78, so it is a series II - you can also tell because the front facing amber turn signal lenses are under the bumper and the grill is more compact. But you are correct, you can get an XJ-C from the factory and they were exported, but it is a Series II. Here is a 1976 XJ6-C for $17,500 via hemmings.
DeleteVince
Oooh, that's one XJ I wouldn't mind owning at all. Very nice. Could use some attention on the leather & wood, but that would be fun. Super classy coupé, just a pity it's not a '75 and smog exempt at that price.
DeleteThey made an XJ6C and an XJ12C. If I had to pick one to cruise and maintain it would be the 6.
DeleteThis car has nothing in common with the factory XJ6C save the number of (oversized)doors. The factory XJ6C was still a 4-place car with quite a lot more wheelbase than this homemade car. Here, in the US, its almost impossible to find a Series II XJ6C that isn't fitted with a vinyl top, so just seeing a 2 dr without a vinyl top is a treat. While I admire the skills it took to complete this car, I find the lines of the factory XJ6C far more appealing because its more balanced in its proportions. I suspect they cut something like a foot out of the wheelbase creating a very interesting ride when going over speed bumps or when the gas tanks are full.
Deletehttp://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/4260891221.html
DeleteSeller could get twice as much if he shipped it to the States.
ReplyDelete~ i like this Jaguar. said it. though it isn't as refined as the factory XJ6 &12 Coupe it is a beautiful concept. i had fallen in love with the first Coupes as soon as they were released and decided i must have one. i drove what seems to me like quite a few across a number of years and eventually purchased not one but two, the first in Blue w/ Black vinyl [electrically challenged], the other British Green w/ Black vinyl [transplanted with small block Chevy power]. i also nearly bought a third in Burgundy but let it slip away. in my eye XJ Coupes are among the best looking cars ever designed. i always refer to them as the 'Limey Camaro'. if i had glimpsed the future i'd never 'traded up' to a 911. hindsight, right?
ReplyDelete