Wednesday, January 8, 2014

10k: Snowmageddon 2014: 2000 Chevrolet Tracker On Treads

Snowmageddon has enveloped the world as we know it (at least in most of America) and even if  you live in Phoenix you would be advised to own at least one vehicle that rides on tracks.  A half-track tank is a good start, but if you don't have the garage space for another semi-worthless vehicle why not pickup a set of tracks that bolt onto a standard car....or buy a car that comes with them.  Find this  2000 Chevrolet Tracker on tracks located in Planet Hoth  LaMoure, ND for $12,000 via craigslist.  Tip from MB.


The Geo/Chevy Tracker is a crappy car at best, but equipped with some kind of aftermarket tread/tracks it becomes a seriously wicked looking beast that will help you survive life in a Mad Max style post apocalyptic world...or Chicago in Jan 2014.


Unfortunately it is still a bottom of the barrel GM product from the 1990s powered by a Suzuki provided 2.0 liter inline-4 good for 130 horsepower.  At least this one is equipped with 4X4 and can make it to the store in a blizzard.


See a better way to survive the winter? email us here: tips@dailyturismo.com

7 comments:

  1. I wonder if this thing is street legal. I don't necessarily disagree with the platform. Not sure what tracks will do to the driveline and I wouldn't want to use a G - series Benz as a test bed. First thing I would do is rhino - line everything near the tracks. This might be a heck of a deal. Mattracks are not cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got plates on it. I'd doubt you could go much above 20mph or so with the tracks on it. As long as you weren't out on the highway I doubt police would bother you. I imagine this is trailered or driven short distances to the lake.
      How heavy would the steering be? I'd bet you'd pop power steering pumps like candy.

      A G wagon would weigh significantly more, and the ground pressure may be too much to float on the snow. This is 3000#/4 or 750 per track, which is about 20% more than a heavy snowmobile. Some of the resorts on Lake of the Woods run full size vans, but I think they have full length tracks in the rear, and skis up front.

      Delete
  2. Pfft. Be a man and take that 13B Starlet in the blizzard. Lightweight, short wheelbase, 205/45 rear tires. Perfect winter commuter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Be a man". I agree whole heartedly - my winter beater back in the 90's was an FC3S Turbo II. The key difference was that I had studded snow tires and knew what the hell I was doing. The person who buys this would likely be the kind of person who has no clue how to drive in the snow and doesn't want to learn.

      This vehicle would be perfect for the scared-of-their-own-shadow soccer mom's of today who think they need an MRAP to take junior and his 80 cubic foot diaper bag down to the nearest red cross shelter when 1/4" of snow falls. In other words, this would be perfect for my wife.

      In all honesty though, I think this lightweight 4x4 with platform makes more sense than what these tracks typically end up on - F350's with skyjacker lifts and FEAR THIS stickers everywhere.

      Delete
    2. Right on Ryan,
      Here in So Cal. there are countless a-hole SUV moms that rip through the streets as if their little Johnny's ball practice was a life-threatning ER dash. Hate to see those same ding-bats with some snow thrown into the mix.
      SoCalDave

      Delete
  3. Yo Dawg! I heard u like Tracks, so I put tracks on ur Tracker, so u can track ur Tracker with tracks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smell of cheap wet carpet in the morninig.............that being said.looks like the seller stores it indoors by the silo! I'd say he knows what he's doing. .........'cept for the price of course

    ReplyDelete

Commenting Commandments:
I. Thou Shalt Not write anything your mother would not appreciate reading.
II. Thou Shalt Not post as anonymous unless you are posting from mobile and have technical issues. Use name/url when posting and pick something Urazmus B Jokin, Ben Dover. Sir Edmund Hillary Clint Eastwood...it don't matter. Just pick a nom de plume and stick with it.
III. Honor thy own links by using <a href ="http://www.linkgoeshere"> description of your link </a>
IV. Remember the formatting tricks <i>italics</i> and <b> bold </b>
V. Thou Shalt Not commit spam.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.