
Rumor has it there is some sort of virus going around that makes people put their favorite classic car body on top of a tube frame and power the result by an 80s Ford V8. The thrice painted BMW 2002 Cobra featured a few weeks back finally has a competitor for the "what is hiding under that sheet metal" competition. Find this 1967 Volkswagen Karmann Gia Type 14 with Covette Suspension & Ford 5.0 V8 for sale in Salem, OH for $26,500 via craigslist.
What looks like a seriously tubbed and flared Karmann Ghia retains little of the original Volkswagen parts and is riding on some kind of tube frame chassis and a C4 Corvette suspension.
Power comes from a Ford 5.0 liter V8 mounted up front and probably putting out around 300-325 horsepower. Power gets put to the Vette rear end via a Borg-Warner T-5 manual transmission.
The passenger compartment maintains little in relation to a normal Ghia because just about every part needs to be custom fabricated when dealing with something this insane - and the inside bears a striking resemblance to the BMW 2002 Cobra.
See a better whale tail equipped custom? email us here: tips@dailyturismo.com




Erp! That's ... funky lookin'.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a 911 Turbo that got stung by several hundred wasps.
ReplyDeleteGood point! I'm going to steal that to use for the jalopnik syndication headline.
DeleteCool. I'm a celebrity now.
DeleteJust wow! Now you can see the 930 genes in this wild ride.
ReplyDeleteSoCalDave
4 classics for the price of...
ReplyDeleteThere is something here to offend any purist...
The offspring of a foursome between...
At least your luggage will stay cool...
I wonder if the creator of this car was aware that he would be assured 15 min. of fame on about 8 car sites while he was putting this together.
This should win the "WTF? of the year award" I mean I kind of like it, but WTF?
ReplyDeleteSeems to be the answer to a question not too many people, outside of someone in in Ohio, are asking. 930's look purposeful. Karmann Gia's still iconic. 959's futuristic in a late '80's sense of the future. This cluster . . . not purposeful, iconic nor futuristic.
ReplyDeleteSomebody, something, lsd, carman ghia.... I might even find it somewhat attractive, but I can not comprehend why.
ReplyDeleteThat is Awesome.
ReplyDeleteKool ...
ReplyDelete