
The Sunbeam Alpine was a 4-cylinder powered British roadster sold by the Rootes Group back in the 60s. They even built a Carroll Shelby designed V8 version, the Tiger, but those are very expensive today and even total basket cases are astronomical. Why not try the middle ground: an Alpine converted to run a Ford V6 engine? Find this 1967 Sunbeam Alpine V6 for sale in the High Desert, CA for $6,500 via craigslist.
This Alpine is going to be a project and with any luck won't need a complete restoration, just some sorting, paint, rubber parts etc. Unfortunately these kind of projects always require at least five times as much work/effort/money/time as originally expected, so budget wisely.
See a cooler V6 powered drop top? email us here: tips@dailyturismo.com


WRONG ! This is not a Essex v-6 and that motor is not the same as the Cologne V-6 that was used in the German Capri 2.6,2.8,2.9&4.0 liter
ReplyDeleteWOW, rather than just declaring WRONG, why don't you help with some additional information? Why do you say it is not an Essex? What is the tell-tale feature that obviously made your head explode? What kind of Ford V-6 is it then? Can your omniscient powers also tell us the displacement and HP? Thanks!
DeleteThen what the heck is it????
ReplyDeleteIts the Cologne V-6 motor Based on the German Taunus V-4 with two more slugs. Came in the German Capri 2.6 and 2.8 liter. also Mustang II,Pinto and Ranger also same Motor Family as the later Mazda/ Ranger Exp 4.0 but they did change the head design on later motors.
ReplyDeleteAre you the same anonymous or are you just posing as Anonymous with the updated info? I just type my name at the beginning or at the end so people know what to call me. After this one, I'll post as- Annoynamouse
DeleteI like the Cologne 60 degree V6 engines. My '67 SV Alpine was converted a couple years ago by me utilizing all conversion components designed by me (DanR).
ReplyDeleteI was very much interested in the way the engine mounts had to be and did not like what was available, I designed what I thought then anmd still believe are superior for the 2.8 in an Alpine.
Next, I came up with a design for the headers to run straight back along side the transmission with the exhaust to run out the back similar to the Tiger System.
From that start, I continued with a full compliment of components for converting an Alpine using the '74-'78 Mustang II 2.8 V6 and other engine of that design from the Mercury Bobcat, Capri's and Pinto. The Ranger and Bronco II 2.8 V6 from '83-'85 and some Aerostars will work.
I really enjoy my Alpine powered V6 with Electric Power steering and A/C all of which I designed for driving comfort:)