Friday, April 11, 2014

10k: 1978 Porsche 928, LS1 Swap

 Over the years we at Daily Turismo have been a bit harsh on Porsche's 928.  Personally I've called it the nicest German Camaro you've ever owned and one of the best muscle cars to ever be built by Germans, but whenever I see one I'm still drawn to it.  This love/hate relationship has something to do with the dynamic wreck-to-whip ratio, sure you can find almost free 928s, but they are going to cost you serious cash when the engine goes boom...and...it will.  So what happens when someone stuffs a Camaro V8 up front and then asks a medium amount of money for it?  Find this 1978 Porsche 928 with LS1 Swap offered for $12,000 in Edmond, OK via craigslist.


There are two voices in my head, the first one says kill them all why does everyone think the SBC belongs in everything...and the other voice says live in a boat finally the 928 will have reliability and power to go with its looks.  Before I take the "vitamins" my wife always gives me when I start talking about the voices in my head, I've got to figure out if this is awesome or a failure.


I find a list helps in these situations.

Pro: More power.
Con: Can't pop hood at PCA track days.
Pro: Fuel economy.
Con: Not if you drive it like a hoon.
Pro: Reliability.
Con: Non factory custom stuff built by a hack always breaks. 
Pro: Cheap parts.
Con: No AC.

Looks like a tie.  Darn it.  Vote below awesome or failure and I'll update the post later in the day with a verdict.

11 comments:

  1. I particularly like the super stock look of the raised front end. Must do the quarter mile quite well with that weight transfer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seller didn't include a picture of the front of the car to highlight whatever that red/grey bondo looking zit is on the front. The nose is so high that almost appears that the engine was out of the car at the time the picture was taken, but the price is even higher than the front end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re:"non factory custom stuff bulit by a hack" and "no AC"
    If you check out Renegade Hybrids in Las Vegas and this was built with their stuff the wiring adaptors utilize the stock switches guages etc. . and AC is only a GM compressor away because the ducts and controls are (I think) installed in the stock 928 heater system. So take your vitamins and go for it!

    No association to Renegade. I've thought about doing this for a couple of years and to tell the truth, the money pit is in the stuff that's already done. Body work paint and interior are known entities if the mechanicals are properly sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cogent and interesting comment, Anonymous. If you're new here, welcome. May I encourage you (and all the other Anonymousi) to go pseudonymous so we can get to know you, even if you just type in a name at the end of your remarks. ~K

      Delete
    2. Sorry, none of the options listed fit my situation. I must be getting too old.
      Elsewhere I'm Bowtiecarguy and I'll be happy to sign that way.
      I've liked this conversion for a long time, but you're right about the PCA crowd.
      Don't know which they would hate worse, a replica 356 or this.
      (About two years ago there was a 928 with a Boeing jet engine on Ebay--shot 15 foot flames out of the hood scoops)

      Bowtiecarguy

      Delete
  4. I have a couple of these. They are awful. They weigh a ton and despite a V-8 are unresponsive and ponderous. I like the styling (sort of Ferrari-ish), but they are no fun to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LS1 928....400rwhp.....
    928 factory.....220 rwhp
    Im only selling due to the V12 with corvette six speed swap into another 928 that Im working on....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert -- is this your car? I'll update the post if it is back for sale somewhere -- post the link here or email me: tips@dailyturismo.com
      Thanks,
      Vince
      DT Editor-in-Chief

      Delete
    2. This was my hotrod. I sold it and am working with Dinsdale on development of V12 Porsche and Vette swaps.

      Delete
    3. We are building twins. 1 manual and 1 auto 6 speed with paddle shifters....

      http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l96/xschop/V__F5ED_zpsqpijpp4c.jpg

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Commenting Commandments:
I. Thou Shalt Not write anything your mother would not appreciate reading.
II. Thou Shalt Not post as anonymous unless you are posting from mobile and have technical issues. Use name/url when posting and pick something Urazmus B Jokin, Ben Dover. Sir Edmund Hillary Clint Eastwood...it don't matter. Just pick a nom de plume and stick with it.
III. Honor thy own links by using <a href ="http://www.linkgoeshere"> description of your link </a>
IV. Remember the formatting tricks <i>italics</i> and <b> bold </b>
V. Thou Shalt Not commit spam.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.