
One of the more unfortunate tendencies of human beings is to reduce a culture to stereotypes and rash generalizations. For example, the Dakotas are not merely Fargo jokes and wide open spaces, but an exercise in pragmatism. As in, inexpensive land, low taxes, low unemployment, low crime (except for that fellow with the woodchopper) and a low chance of getting heat stroke. Like a 220-horsepower family wagon, it does the job right without begging for attention, which is a polite way of saying it has all the sex appeal of a Cosby sweater. Find this 1987 Mercy Sable wagon with SHO swap for sale in Rapid City, SD for $4,500 via craigslist.This Mercury is from the second year of Sable production, and predates the Taurus SHO by two years. It's reminiscent of the 1992 Chop'n'SHOp Taurus wagon featured in September, but more sneaky. All-original and unassuming on the outside, and apropros of its cultural climate, this white-on-tan longroof is a vessel of conservatism.
See a car with greater headlight area? Email us at tips@dailyturismo.com.
PhiLOL actually likes the tuna here, but abhors structural rust. Save the manuals.




While this is exactly "What i'm talking about!", it is disappointing that there are no interior pictures. I want to see how glorious the 90's were in a sable wagon and I'm not about to make the trip all the way to SD to find out.
ReplyDeleteIt's a bummer Ford didn't actually produce the SHO wagon. This headlight arrangement isn't bigger, just freakier.
ReplyDelete[img]http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/76/da/b0/76dab01d79b8847464ab0c44a1f51a42.jpg[/img]
Highly suspect 1996 Ford Taurus SHO Wagon - $500
DeleteMethinks he's mistaking the Duratec V6 for the SHO V8.
DeleteWhat makes you think that? That ad copy doesn't indicate anything other than the Yamaha, though they weren't exactly descriptive.
DeleteThere were a few Taurus/Sable wagon SHO conversions done, could probably turn up the history of this one with some poking around.
ReplyDeleteAs with the E39 BMW the rear suspension on the Taurus wagon was somewhat different from the sedan so most parts won't swap.
I know about the Billy Wagon one-off, the audio company's toy and the homebrews, but I'm unaware of any that went into actual production.
DeleteNo, none of them were 'production' models, but the SHO wagon conversion was a fairly easy one, I'm guessing there were probably around 10 done as one-offs.
DeleteBoth remind me of...
ReplyDeleteWell I kicked the tire and then got in the seat
And set on a petrified apple core
And found a bunch of field mice livin' in the glove compartment
He says "her shaft is bent and the rear end leaks
You can fix 'er quick with an oily rag
Use a nail to start her, I lost the key
Don't pay no mind to that whirin' sound
She'll use a little oil, but outside of that she's a cherry
I says what'll it take
He says "whadaya got"
I says twenty eight dollars and fifteen cents
He says "you got a deal, sign here
I'll go get the title an' a can full of gas
I put the nail in the slot and fired her up
And she coughed and belched up a bunch of smoke
And I backed her right through the hog pen into the yard
Would you like that with a side of Fries?
DeleteHey now! Rimshot!
DeleteI could use the fries to keep Frank busy so he would quit biting my leg...
DeleteHeh heh. Ouch.
Delete