
The FD generation Mazda RX-7 was built from 1991-2002 and is in my opinion the best looking of all Mazda vehicles. Some are turned off by its amoeba/jelly bean styling, but personally, I think it kicks the butt of any 90s Japanese supercar from an aesthetics perspective. Performance was good too. While reliability is the only real blemish on the FD's report card, you can find low-mile examples that just need regular maintenance for years of happy The curvy Japanese styling, a front mid-ships layout and a turbocharged Wankel rotary engine is a fantastic combination, except for the horrible reliability of a rotary multiplied by the abysmal record of a 90's turbocharger. If you want something original, your best bet is to find an extremely low mile example or something with a rebuilt engine. The costs of rebuilding the original 2-rotor has led many owners to drop in something from the Chevrolet small block V8 family -- for an upgrade in power/durability at the expense of character. Maybe. A V8 powered RX-7 will certainly have some character.
Up first is this 1993 Mazda RX-7
Under the hood is 13B-REW twin-turbocharged
This next FD is an Incredible Hulk to the previous car's Bruce Banner -- it is a 1993 Mazda FD RX-7
This modified FD also started life as a touring model with the 4-speed gearbox, but sometime around the 15k mile range, the original Wankel gave up the ghost and an LS1 from a 2004 GTO was swapped into it. The seller has bumped up the go factor by bolting in some aftermarket parts and claims the car was dyno'd at a healthy 363 hp and 375 ft-lbs to the pavement.
If it was my money...I think I'd take the LS1 version, but only because of the clutch pedal -- a low mile manual for the same money would be hard to pass up. What would you pick? Comments below.
See another FD worth a feature? tips@dailyturismo.com





Can't argue with swapping in 'Merican muscle when the rotary goes, but it certainly loses a lot of it's character. I have an FC and a backup motor in waiting.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, the 13B-REW is only two rotors.
Adam - oh yeah, I knew that...why'd I write 3 rotors...strange.
DeleteWonder what led to the 13b dying in just 15k miles? That's unusually young.
DeleteFikse alloys vs Fiske. I do that all of the time.
ReplyDeleteI've done an auto-to-manual swap on this car's younger cousin (RX8) and it took about a weekend. Assuming there are similarities between the two, this shouldn't take more than a month worth of research / parts gathering, and a weekend for the swap. Lots of people complain about it on the forums, but if you're handy with a spanner, and have a spare car, I'd say have at it.
My vote is for the auto car, as those tend to be less thrashed on than their manual brethren.
Get them both. Remove the worlds largest fart can, dress them in the same wheels and tires, and have a fine set of "his and hers"....
ReplyDeleteWhere's that 'like' button...
DeleteI just said this yesterday at the hawaiian ice stand. Can I get the two mixed together?
ReplyDelete