Monday, May 13, 2013

DT Flash: 2For1: 1978 SAAB 99 Turbo + Parts Car

There is something about a car that is sold with a parts car...something hidden between the lines that says "Don't expect to be able to buy brake pads at AutoKragBoys" and "Need an empty barn."  Parts availability for a 1978 SAAB shouldn't be that bad...but if you buy this package deal you will need somewhere away from your neighbors view to store the rotting parts car.  Find this 1978 SAAB 99 Turbo with spare parts car in Sausalito, CA bidding on ebay for $886 with 7 days to go.  Thanks to tip from Kaibeezy.









See a better SAABroject for cheap? email us here: tips@dailyturismo.com

4 comments:

  1. Why can I not keep my eyes from those Inca wheels? So cool and I can't help but drool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. up over $2000 with 5 days left - a quarter of that is the (best wheels ever) inca wheels in what appear to be primo condition, including center caps (made from unicorn hooves) and lug bolts (unobtanium) - nice steering wheel too, no way that's stock

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just test drove this car today, and I can tell you, it's a sweet ride.

    Cosmetically the car is worse than the photos make it out to be, but I would have no reservations about DD'ing it. The seller estimated around $6K to get it looking nice (that includes $4,500 he was quoted for a paint job).

    Mechanically the car seems to be in pretty good shape except for an oil leek near the front of the engine bay. Only minor cosmetic rust, frame looks good and rust free.

    If you've never driven one of these before (I never had) it's a blast to drive. Not terribly fast by today's standards, but no slowpoke, and it really keeps you engaged trying to get maximum boost without overboosting. No power steering, but it doesn't feel too heavy. Shifter is great, short and precise.

    The guy who is selling seems like a really cool guy. he made a point to show me all the records dating back from the very first time the car was serviced. I don't think i'll bid on it, but I hope he gets a good price, he definitely deserves it and so does this car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wound up buying the car (s) for about $3500 and don't feel good about it. The speedometer cable is outright missing so the fuel control is confused, it was leaking from the oil cooler, and oil pump (which turned out to need refurbishment), cracked exhaust manifold, ruptured wastegate diaphragm, the list goes on and on... I'm hoping to wind up with a car I can actually drive after another few hundred bucks and 10 hours but it will take a long time before it's mechanically right.
    Pavl_

    ReplyDelete

Commenting Commandments:
I. Thou Shalt Not write anything your mother would not appreciate reading.
II. Thou Shalt Not post as anonymous unless you are posting from mobile and have technical issues. Use name/url when posting and pick something Urazmus B Jokin, Ben Dover. Sir Edmund Hillary Clint Eastwood...it don't matter. Just pick a nom de plume and stick with it.
III. Honor thy own links by using <a href ="http://www.linkgoeshere"> description of your link </a>
IV. Remember the formatting tricks <i>italics</i> and <b> bold </b>
V. Thou Shalt Not commit spam.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.