
The Datsun 510 was produced from 1968-1973 as Nissan's compact sedan offering for worldwide consumption. But it was more than just another cheap economy car to rust in junk yards a few years later -- it was engineered to be an enthusiasts car, had European inspired sheet metal designed by Nissan's Teruo Uchino, and featured rugged overhead cam L-series power. Find this 1971 Datsun 510 Sedan with KA24E swap offered for $6,000 in Hayward, CA via craigslist.This 510 isn't really a looker -- it has a flat (primer?) paint job and is missing various bits of trim...but under the skin it has a few surprises that might make you consider getting a 4-door 510.
Under the hood is a 2.4 liter KA24E inline-4 that was probably borrowed from an '89-90 240SX (or Nissan Truck/Pathfinder). Power for the SOHC 12-Valve version was listed as 140 horsepower and 152 ft-lbs of torque.
Power in this one is routed to a manual gearbox -- hopefully a 5-speed that would have come with the engine, but possibly the original 4-speed from the 510 sedan.
See another cheap 510 in the 510? tips@dailyturismo.com


I'm worried about the ignition switch...with that 3 kg key ring.
ReplyDeleteWell, at least when the mass of keys turns off the ignition, it won't disable the airbag at the same time...
DeleteI dig the flat black patina. I'd rock it.
ReplyDeleteI sure hope that is flat black paint, and not just primer. Primer is NOT waterproof, and on a 510, that would be the kiss of death. I had a 1972 510 Wagon, and on a quiet night, I swore I could hear it rusting.
ReplyDelete