It is Wednesday, which means time for DT's favorite hump day game -- also known as Mid Week Match-Up. As the leaves fall from trees (not out here in California, we don't really have seasons...but I visited the great state of PA the other day and autumn was gorgeous!) we need to prepare for WINTER...so, it is time to pick your favorite winter vehicles. GO!I just want something truckish and 4WDish...like this 1992 Ford F-250 XLT offered here on eBay bidding for $500 reserve-not-met with $6,500 buy-it-now located in Las Vegas, NV.
What do you suggest? Comments below.

[image src="http//www.http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Jeep-Wrangler-/132356058022?hash=item1ed1092ba6:g:DXwAAOSwyjJZ1U-y&vxp=mtr.com width="400px"]
ReplyDeleteDrat, still haven't figured this out.
DeleteLet me help you out a bit. You need to go to the actual picture on FleaBay, right click it and get the image address and carefully paste it into the tag, making sure you don't lose a " or something. It's super tedious, but that is the Blogger platform for ya...
Delete[image src="http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DXwAAOSwyjJZ1U-y/s-l1600.jpg" width="400px"/]
Found a decent little Toyota minitruck that should do nicely.
ReplyDelete[image src="https://images.craigslist.org/00T0T_1RDm1wHcnl8_600x450.jpg"/]
I'll put a plug in for a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD diesel that I need to sell on. Has the NP242 transfer case with both fulltime AWD and part-time locked 50/50 split 4WD. All ready for winter, just saying...
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like an ideal winter transport. Pickups, even four-wheel-drive ones, aren't very good choices for snowy freeways: nice and long, with wide tracks, but poor weight balance that makes them frightening at speed when the road surface is greasy. (Ask me how I know...)
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThe diesel can be a little hard-starting when cold, but that what core heaters are for. While recognizing that the little Jeep gets studded snows and the F250 crewcab/longbed does not, it is an easy choice on which to take on snowy and slippery days.
DeleteAs a life-long resident of the rust belt, pretty much every vehicle I've ever owned has melted away before its time. Sure, I've let a few go due to mechanical issues, but most succumbed to the tin worm.
ReplyDelete4WD and truckish is a reasonable strategy (though Fueltruck is right about pickups on snow-covered highways, plus, an open bed fills with snow which becomes glacial after a few freeze/thaw cycles) but it would be bordering on criminal to subject a nice, clean older truck to a salty death.
What you need is what we call a 'winter beater'. Reasonably common, reasonably reliable, pre-rusted and cheap. Make sure it has good tires, a good battery, and a good heater. Run it for a few winters and then find another one.
- John
This is so fun! What a great idea. Also I love how authentic you seem to be. Your style and passion for blogging is contagious. Thank you for sharing your life!
ReplyDeleteI really like your blog post very much.
ReplyDelete